A Strangling Winter

Other things
When the sand turns to glass, and all that's left is the past, I will love you still.
Other things
Take from me my disbelief
I know it should come easily
But it remains inside of me
It battles and devours me
It cuddles up beside of me
In whispers, it convinces me
Other things
Blessed are the hearts that can bend; they shall never be broken.
Other things
As happens sometimes, a moment settled and hovered and remained for much more than a moment. And sound stopped and movement stopped for much, much more than a moment. And then the moment was gone.
Other things
If love's a word that you say Then say it, I will listen.
Tuesday, March 2, 2010
Proposal -- Part 2
So when we last left our young heroine (i.e., me), she was sitting in Radio City Music Hall praying that she wouldn't be called onstage by a jolly fat man in a red velvet suit. Luckily, my prayers were answered. The Radio City Christmas Spectacular ended without any embarrassing public displays, for which I am eternally grateful. After exiting the theater, Ethan asked if I would like to walk over to Rockefeller Center to see the Christmas Tree. I readily agreed and as we began walking, I noticed most of the Christmas Spectacular audience had the same idea. It was incredibly crowded at the Christmas Tree, so we only stayed a short time. We asked two police officers to take our picture, and they initially turned us down. They quickly changed their mind when Ethan flashed his own badge. Dating a police officer does have it's privileges. And I'm not just saying that because he's gotten be out of seven moving violations during the time we've been together. Okay, maybe I am.


...
...
...


Prior to leaving Rockefeller Center, I asked Ethan if we could visit Top of the Rock, the observation deck above Rockefeller Center. It was a surprisingly short wait, and we were enjoying the city skyline in a matter of minutes. We spent some time wandering around the observation deck, absorbing the magnificence of our city from all angles. It was so cold that my body was trembling, so Ethan suggested that we head back inside. After coming through the glass doors I saw a young woman sitting on a bench, in the throes of hysterics, sobbing into her cell phone. I was about to head over and offer my services when I noticed the empty ring box beside her and the gleaming diamond on her hand. I nudged Ethan with my elbow and whispered "Look, she just got engaged." He nodded and directed me toward the elevators. As we were standing in line, awaiting our descent, the elevator operator was waxing poetic about how "lame" it was that someone proposed at the Top of the Rock. He insisted that, when his time came, he would rent out a movie theater and blast his proposal across the screen during the movie. A very practical guy, he admitted to hoping that his soon-to-be-fiance wasn't in the restroom at that time. Ah, true love.
...
...
...


We left Rockefeller Center and grabbed the nearest available taxi to head back to the Ritz Carlton. When we reached our room, Ethan announced that we had better turn in for the night, as we had to be up early tomorrow for my surprise. Despite massive amounts of cajoling, he refused to tell me what it was. I changed into my fleece pajamas (sexy, I know) and climbed into the king-sized bed. Cuddling up beside him, I quickly drifted into dreamland.

...
...
...


BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! The alarm went off at 7:30 am. Ethan rushed me into the shower, telling me that we had to arrive at our destination by 9:00 am. Still bleary-eyed, I stumbled into the shower and relaxed under the hot spray. After dressing in another satin shirt and sweater combo, I exited the bathroom. Ethan handed me his Under Armour pants and socks and asked me to put them on under my jeans. I looked at him incredulously, thinking that he was taking this whole "dress warm" thing just a wee bit too far. Still, I obliged. As I was getting him dressed, I noticed him sending text messages on his phone. I asked who on earth he'd be texting at that particular ungodly hour of the morning. He explained that he was responding to text messages from last night that he'd only see in that moment. He put his phone in his pocket, walked over to me, and placed my wool hat (with ear flaps!) on my head. He took my hand and led me out the door.

We took the elevator to the lobby and Ethan asked the doorman to call us a taxi. When we got in, Ethan gave the drive an address. Just an address. Nothing else. Using all my knowledge of NYC, I tried desperately to figure out where we were going. I knew the museums were up that way, but I wasn't sure of their exact addresses. And why would I need to dress warm for a museum, anyway? No, that couldn't be it. Ethan asked why I was being so quiet, and I mumbled something about being tired. We rode the rest of the way in silence.
...
...
...

When the taxi stopped, I noticed that we were at one of the many entrances to Central Park. Ethan took my hand and led me into the snow-covered woods. The following conversation took place as we walked:
Me: Where are we going?
Ethan: I told you, it's a surprise.
Me: Are you sure you know how to get there?
Ethan: Yes, I'm sure.
Me: Well, it's ten to nine. Are we going to be there in time?
Ethan: We'll get there, don't worry.
At this point we descended a large staircase overlooking the lake. We arrived at this location:






Ethan stopped dead in his tracks. And the conversation continued:

Me: Why are we stopping here?
Ethan: We have to wait here a minute.

Me: Are we meeting someone?

Ethan: Well, yes and no.
At that point, I began looking around the area for people we could be meeting. Ethan began taking off his wool hat and his gloves.
Me: What are you doing? It's freezing!
Ethan: I'm not cold.
Me: You must be crazy.
Ethan smiled at me and took my hands in his. He asked me to give him a kiss, and I did. Then, without warning, he dropped to one knee in the snow. He opened a blue velvet ring box and spoke with an unsteady voice.
Ethan: I love you so much. You're my best friend and I can't picture my life without you. Will you marry me?
Me: Yes!
He stood up and hugged me. We kissed, over and over again. He lifted me up in his arms. It felt like something out of a movie.
...
...
...
And then I noticed something.

...
...
...
A blond woman was peering out from behind the fountain with what appeared to be a camera. I narrowed my eyes.
Me, in almost a hiss: Ethan!
Ethan: What?

Me, outraged: There is some psychopath over there spying on us, and I think she is taking pictures. How dare she intrude on such a private moment! I can't believe this!
Ethan: She's not a psychopath, I hired her to take pictures.

I was stunned. Completely stunned. The woman came over and introduced herself for the "big reveal" Ethan admitted that he had been texting her that morning so she'd know what we wearing. Taking off his hat and gloves were the clue to her that he was about to propose. That sneaky, sneaky, guy.

The next hour and a half was spent doing an "engagement photo shoot" all over Central Park. 183 pictures and some frostbite later, we were finished. We climbed into a taxi cab and rode off into the morning together.











Labels: ,

posted by Aurelie @ 8:51 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At March 2, 2010 at 10:06 PM, Blogger Sarah Q said…

    LOVE IT! Congratulations!!

     
  • At March 2, 2010 at 10:32 PM, Blogger S.I.F. said…

    I love the idea of an impromptu engagement photo shoot! That might be my favorite part, because it is just so stinking thoughtful!

     
  • At March 3, 2010 at 7:56 AM, Blogger Momof3inVA said…

    What a thoughtful guy! You lucked out BIG time! ;)

    And hey, nice ring!!!! Whoa!

     
  • At March 3, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Blogger C'est Moi said…

    Ok, I'm not gonna lie. This made me tear up a little... Congratulations!!!! My husband proposed on Pier A in Hoboken, overlooking the city, last March; we were married in August in Scotland.

    I can't wait to read all about your wedding plans!

     
  • At April 5, 2010 at 11:41 PM, Blogger Nikki B. said…

    yeah...gorgeous ring, and what a gorgeous place for a proposal! the angel of bethesda is so beautiful! i've never been to new york, but, i did a little mini paper on the fountain, in my psychology class, actually. i remembered it from "angels in america," and have always loved it!!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Aurelie
Home: NYC, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER